Healthy pregnancy snack: Banana cake!
Looking for a yummy healthy snack? This banana and nut cake recipe will provide an energy boost as well as being a tasty addition to your healthy pregnancy diet!
Whilst arguably cake is not a mainstay of a healthy pregnancy diet, nevertheless we like to include a few treats! This one includes bananas – which are an ideal food for pregnant women and added walnuts, which are full of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.
Whilst it’s very delicious and easy to make, you would need to eat half the cake to have the nutritional benefits of one banana, so we don’t actually recommend this as one of your five a day!
175g soft brown sugar
2 medium eggs
1 lemon zest
150g raisins or sultanas
150g of chopped walnuts
2 ripe bananas mashed (you need about 400g so adjust if the bananas are very small or very big!)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons milk
- Grease a loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar together. This is easier if the butter is at room temperature or very slightly softened before you start.
- Add the eggs and beat well into the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest, bananas and lemon juice and mix well.
- Stir in the raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Sift flour and baking powder together, add to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Add as much of the milk as necessary to make a soft, gloopy consistency.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 60 minutes in an oven preheated at 180°C until golden brown. Test with a skewer to make sure it’s cooked through.
Delicious served warm with butter and a cup of tea! Walnuts are our favourite but Brazil nuts work equally well – or a mixture of both!