Spinach is a fantastic source of folic acid, keep a bag in the fridge as a regular ‘go to’ for your pregnancy menus, especially in your first trimester.
This delicious spinach soup is the perfect pregnancy lunch, packed full of essential prenatal vitamins and takes only a few minutes to prepare. Serve it with walnut bread and cheese.
Homemade chicken or vegetable stock improves the flavour but use a good quality ready prepared stockpot for a speed and convenience.
25g of butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
Clove of garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons of chopped chives
900 ml of vegetable or chicken stock
700g fresh spinach
100 gm cream cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and gently fry the chopped onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the chopped chives, spinach and stock.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream cheese and the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Simmer gently for a few more minutes to let the flavours develop and serve
Ricotta cheese makes a flavoursome alternative to cream cheese
Look after your awesome #mombod
And treat you and your baby to supportive, stylish maternity activewear – you both deserve it! 👶