Looking for a summer lunch full of prenatal vitamins? This recipe packed with vitamin C and folic acid for a healthy pregnancy and it’s delicious!
This light and refreshing summer soup is a useful standby as part of your healthy pregnancy diet as it slips down a treat on days when you don’t feel much like eating. Celery contains vitamin C, potassium and folic acid (all essential for pregnancy nutrition) along with useful fibre – stay away from celery seeds though as some research has suggested they can lead to uterine bleeding and contractions.
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 rashers of bacon chopped
1 tbsp of light olive oil
1 cup of lentils
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
3 ripe fresh tomatoes, chopped –
½ tsp of smoked paprika (more to taste)
500ml of chicken or vegetable stock
- Saute the onions and the garlic in the butter until soft. Peel and chop the apples and potato and add to the pan and continue to cook gently. Add the chopped celery and cook with the lid on for a few more minutes – don’t allow the vegetables to brown.
- Pour on the boiling stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Liquidize and, if you prefer to get rid of the stringy bits of the celery, put through a sieve.
- Add the lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Freshly grated nutmeg will enhance the flavour.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and a garnish of finely chopped celery leaves.
FittaMamma Tip: Use the reserved inner stalks of celery to serve with one of our dip recipes – Beetroot Hummus, plain Hummus or Mushroom Pate!
Style your awesome pregnant curves!
You and your baby bump deserve to look fabulous (and feel supported) – shop right now! 🚴